Pre-You aims to trace your ancestry as far back as the 1840’s, but we can search further if parish records are available.
We can only search for deceased relatives who are recorded in the public domain. In the UK, 100 years must have passed before census information becomes available, to protect the identities of living people.
UK census records are available from 1841 to 1911, and in some cases to 1939.
Where available, we can search:
– UK statutory birth, marriage and death certificates (England and Wales from 1837, and Scotland from 1855)
– parish registers (England and Wales from 1837, and Scotland from 1855)
Where available, we can also consult:
– UK and Ireland obituaries
– UK military records
– shipping and immigration records
– US Census and military records
– Canada Census records
– newspaper reports
– other internet subscription sources
– for the Langholm and Eskdale area, local records such as cemetery records, valuation rolls, personal local family collections and books by local authors to provide localised information
Searches in other countries
We may also be able to research the records of other countries (for example, Ireland, Canada, United States, Australia and New Zealand) for more information about your family tree.